PathAI is a health-tech startup focused on utilizing AI-powered pathology to improve patient outcomes. PathAI applies deep learning to the medical field of pathology, which is the “ground truth” for most disease diagnoses including for cancer. PathAI’s 200+ person cross-functional business is the global leader in AI-powered diagnostics and works with the leading biopharma companies and laboratories to improve drug development and clinical care. PathAI is venture backed by leading funds including: General Catalyst and General Atlantic, as well as by strategic investors like Merck, BMS, and LabCorp.
Medical Science Liaison is a field-based position of the PathAI Medical Affairs team and will serve as a scientific peer and resource within the pathology medical community, and act as a scientific expert to his/her colleagues. This position will represent PathAI in the areas of pathology, laboratory medicine, and clinical diagnostics. Additionally, disease areas and conditions could be added to the portfolio at any time via Mergers/Acquisitions, In-licensing, or co-promotion agreements. MSLs will primarily identify and engage with a targeted group of national and regional thought leaders, providing the consistent delivery of educational and compliant scientific information in support of PathAI products. MSLs will engage with pathologists and laboratory directors who are in the laboratory setting, and those actively engaged in utilization or deployment of digital pathology and AI-based pathology solutions. Primary responsibility will be to travel with and/or respond to complex inquiries in a scientific, fair-balanced, compliant manner serving as a critical field medical resource to these pathologists and laboratory directors, and also, internal PathAI and PathAI Diagnostics sales and managed markets teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide field insights and activity updates through regular meetings and other communication channels with the Manager of Medical Affairs.
- Interact with healthcare providers and thought leaders to communicate and advance the scientific platform as aligned with PathAI’s corporate goals and objectives.
- Provide medical information and facilitate scientific exchange in a fair, balanced, and compliant manner and provide clinical/scientific insight and support for PathAI.
- Ensure appropriate dissemination of clinical and scientific information in a timely, ethical and customer-focused manner.
- Provide disease education as appropriate. Implement clinical and educational strategies in collaboration with colleagues.
- Provide clinical presentations and information in response to unsolicited questions (as appropriate) in academic, community, and healthcare provider settings in both group and one-on-one settings
- Establish, build and maintain relationships with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and other healthcare professions in pathology and laboratory medicine.
- Identify and train members of PathAI’s speakers’ bureau and ensure they are updated on new data
- Provide clinical and economic value information to payers and diagnostic laboratory decision makers
- Contribute to the overall strategic focus of the Medical Affairs team
- Serve as a medical resource internally and externally
- Provide scientific support to scientific group meetings, advisory boards, and other relevant meetings.
- Act as primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing investigator initiated research
- Support clinical trials as needed, as well as investigator initiated trials.
- Partner internally with office based medical and commercial colleagues around strategy, messaging and field intelligence
- Participate in the identification and publication of scientific materials
- Align customers’ educational and research needs with available PathAI resources and provide the latest emerging data in response to specific healthcare professional inquiries.
- Seek out opportunities to support the MSL value proposition, achieve results and set an example for others to follow by consistently demonstrating PathAI values and leadership attributes
- Must be a strong team player who can effectively interface with PathAI clinical and commercial personnel, as well as aid in training of PathAI staff
- Doctorate degree required (MD, DO, PharmD or PhD)
- At least 1-2 years of experience as an MSL in the clinical diagnostics or biotech industry is preferred
- Experience in pathology and laboratory medicine MSL role is preferred
- Thorough knowledge of medicine, treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, customer strategies, and FDA promotional guidelines, regulations, and ethical guidelines applied to the clinical diagnostics industry is preferred.
- Thorough grasp of the clinical diagnostics industry and FDA requirements
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, team, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation and education skills; ability to communicate clinical and non-clinical technical information effectively
- Demonstrated project management ability
- Ability to travel up to 40-60%
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. Your compensation is rounded out by a strong benefits package:
- Flexible work hours, with work-from-home options available
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, an additional two weeks of sick time, plus extended holidays and team-approved leave
- Ten days of 100% subsidized childcare per year
- Healthcare, vision, and dental insurance plans (HMO or PPO), with voluntary add-ons available for dependent care, life, and accident coverage
- Commuter benefit available for public transit or parking
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll genuinely enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications — that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.
PathAI does not accept unsolicited submissions from third-parties.
With the rise of employment phishing scams, especially during the current COVID-19 situation, we ask candidates to be extra vigilant. Be careful about providing any kind of personal information, such as location, age, or financial information to recruiters who may be impersonating PathAI employees. PathAI does not require payment for interviews or for applicants to purchase their own work supplies for reimbursement.