Group B Strep (GBS)
Table of Contents
This assay is an in vitro nucleic acid amplification test that utilizes Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and nucleic acid hybridization for the qualitative detection of Group B Strep (GBS).
Acceptable specimen collection/transport containers are:
Storage and Transport
Specimens can be shipped and stored at 4 - 25°C. If shipping temperatures exceeding 25°C are anticipated, use cool plack. Viability after transfer to collection/transport tube is:
•BD™ Liquid Amies Elution Swab (ESwab) Collection and Transport System: 48 hours Upon arrival at the lab, the ESwab collection will be transferred into Lim Broth for sample enrichment process.
•BD eSwab: 4 Days
Specimen Rejection Criteria
All specimens must be submitted according to the test directory instructions. Before submitting specimen, please carefully review specimen requirements.
Listed below are possible causes for delays in specimen processing or possible specimen rejections or cancellations:
- No patient identification on requisition form
- No patient identification on specimen container or slides
- No referring provider
- No account information provided
- No test ordered on requisition
- No specimen source provided
- Inappropriate specimen type
- Insufficient volume for analysis
- Inappropriate specimen container
- Improper specimen transport
- Specimen leaked in transport
- Specimen submitted in incorrect or expired transport media
- Slides broken beyond repair on receipt
- Conflict between patient name on specimen and requisition form
- Specimen not properly preserved
- Sample containing a needle
A representative from Client Services will attempt to contact your office to resolve specimen problems. Additional documentation may be requested from your office to be returned by fax. In the event that resolution is not possible, the specimen may be returned to your office.
Turn Around Time (TAT)